I am a physicist and I work on cosmology, astrophysics and data analysis in roles that bridge people with different expertise.
I work on using data from ground and space missions to test theoretical models that describe the evolution and content of the Universe. Topics I have been working on include: Dark Energy, Dark Matter, Modified Gravity, Cosmic Microwave Background, Neutrinos, Supernovae. I have coordinated the Planck analysis for Dark Energy and Modified Gravity and I lead the Inter-science Taskforce for forecasts and Likelihood within the ESA Euclid international space missions.
Position and responsibilities until 10/23:
- Directrice de Recherche CEA Paris-Saclay, IRFU/DAp, Astrophysics Department, CosmoStat lab, France since 2016.
- President of the Programme National de Cosmologie et Galaxie (PNCG) since 2019.
I am a member of the ESA Euclid space mission since 2007 (former DUNE). I was:
- Co-Lead of the ESA Euclid Inter Science Taskforce on Likelihood and Forecasts.
- Co-Lead of the ESA Euclid Theory Science Working Group (since 2021)
- Appointed Euclid Builder since 2019, for my contribution to the space mission over the years.
Other roles in communication and mentoring:
- CEA representative within the Euclid France communication team from 2019 to 2023.
- CosmoStat representative within the DAp communication team from 2021 to 2023.
- Mentor and leadership team for the Supernova Foundation for women in physics since 2015 and Mentor for Paris-Saclay Femmes&Science in 2020-2021.
- Member of the Council of the Graduate School for Paris-Saclay from 2021 to 2022.
- Research Group Leader for HGSFP and ITP Cosmology Group, University of Heidelberg, Germany
- Marie Curie IEF, Project DEMO, University of Geneva
- International School for Advanced Studies, SISSA, Trieste, Italy
- Italian Academy for Advanced Studies in America, Columbia University, New York, USA
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellow, University of Heidelberg, Germany
- University of Torino, Italy
- University of Naples, Italy
Outreach activity while at CEA:
- Valeria Pettorino: Making an impact in Space, Cosmos and Mentoring , an Interview from CERN Alumni.
- Energia oscura primordiale? Se c’era, era poca, by MEDIA INAF (in Italian)
- Valeria Pettorino reçoit le prix MCAA pour un parcours d’excellence, interview by CEA IRFU COM
- An Italian Cosmologist Who Wanders in Dante’s Dark Wood, interview by Quanta Magazine
- Video for Quanta Magazine
- The launch of Sputnik1, live radio interview for RFI
- EuroPython 2017 (in Italian)
- Frémir avec Euclid, by CEA IRFU COMM
Organization of events:
- Round table on Science Diplomacy in Space Exploration, in collaboration with Alumni Polito and the Italian Embassy in Paris, 2021 (organizer and chair)
- Uno sguardo sull'Universo, May 2023, for DIRE association of women in Paris (talk)