Redshift Estimation Products
Benchmark data sets for redshift estimation
Matlab routines to read and write in FITS format can be found here.
Astronomical spectra for template building
- training.fits.gz : Simulated spectra that can be used to derive templates.
- properlyscaled.fits.gz : Simulated spectra (2860 spectra in a 2D FITS array [0:2141, 0: 2859].
- errorcurve.fits.gz : Root mean square per pixel (FITS 1D array [0:2141]).
- trueredshifts.fits.gz : True redshift of the simulated spectra (FITS 1D array [0:2141]).
Darth Fader results
The Darth Fader method is a catalog cleaning merhod for redshift estimation which is described in:
- D. Machado, A. Leonard, J-L. Starck, and F. Abdalla, "Darth Fader: Using wavelets to obtain accurate redshifts of spectra at very low signal-to-noise", Astronomy and Astrophysics , in press.
The code is available here, and the following routine shows how to use it on the above data:
- example_darth_fader.pro : Example of IDL routine that run Darth Fader method.
Running this routine, we obtain the following results:
- % of catastrophic failures before cleaning = 22.09
- % of galaxies retained after cleaning = 75.80
- % of catastrophic failures after cleaning = 4.29
Both the indices of the selected galaxies and their estimated redshifts can be found at:
- galaxies indices : indices of the selected galaxies, i.e. IND[i] corresponds to the ith spectrum in the origininal data set.
- redshifts : estimated redshifts of the selected galaxies.