Joint Planck and WMAP9 CMB Map Reconstruction using LGMCA
The LGMCA method has been used to reconstruct the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) image from WMAP 9 year and Planck-PR2 data. Based on the sparse modeling of signals – a framework recently developed in applied mathematics – the proposed component separation method is well-suited for the extraction of foreground emissions. A joint WMAP9 year and Planck PR2 CMB has been reconstructed for the first time and produce a very high quality CMB map, especially on the galactic center where it is the most difficult due to the strong foreground emissions of our Galaxy. This webpage provides some comparisons between the PR2 and WPR2 maps and codes to recompute the map in the spirit of reproducible research.
Comparison with other CMB Planck PR2 maps
Comparison on Galactic Center
It is usually hard to derive a discriminative criterion from real data. For that purpose, the quality map measures an excess of power in the estimated CMB map in the wavelet domain with the respect to the expected power of the CMB. The expected CMB power is computed from the Planck best-fit power spectrum assuming a fiducial cosmology.
The LGMCA CMB map does not contain noticeable tSZ residual
Difference map about the Coma cluster area between HFI-217GHz and CMB maps, respectively PR2 NILC, SEVEM, SMICA, Commander and WPR2 LGMCA. As the SZ vanishes at 217GHz, the presence of residuals of tSZ in the difference reveals a tSZ contamination in the estimated CMB map.
This clean and truly full-sky estimate of the CMB map is a very good candidate for galactic studies. Being free of noticeable remainings of thermal SZ, it will be helpful for kinetic SZ studies. As well, following the philosophy of reproducible research, the LCS makes available all the codes used to estimate and evaluate the CMB map.
- J. Bobin, F. Sureau, J.-L. Starck, “CMB reconstruction from the WMAP and Planck PR2 data“, Astronomy and Astrophysics , submitted.
Joint WMAP9 and Planck PR2 Products
- PNG will be available soon
- WMAP 9 years + PR2 CMB map estimated by LGMCA at 5 arcmin resolution (units muK).
- WMAP 9 years + PR2 Half difference of half mission maps (noise estimate) estimated by LGMCA at 5 arcmin resolution (units muK).
- WMAP 9 years + PR2 Half ring 1 map estimated by LGMCA at 5 arcmin resolution (units muK).
- WMAP 9 years + PR2 Half ring 2 map estimated by LGMCA at 5 arcmin resolution (units muK).
Reproducible research philosophy consists in providing codes and scripts that have used to provided the results.
Codes will be available soon