I joined the CosmoStat laboratory in September 2016 as a post-doctoral researcher working with Jérôme Bobin.
I work on the component separation of foreground emissions from signals of cosmological significance.
My primary research interests involve the Interstellar Medium (ISM), specifically spatially and spectrally modeling diffuse Galactic emissions to support the improvement of CMB component separation techniques.
I have worked on C-Band All-Sky Survey (C-BASS) which is producing maps of all-sky intensity and polarisation at a central frequency of 5 GHz using two single-dish radio antennae. This project enabled me to study synchrotron and free-free emission in detail: separating these two emissions within the Galactic plane and constraining the spectral index of synchrotron emission.
Working at the CosmoStat laboratory extends my research into higher frequencies, using sparsity-based methods to separate thermal dust emission from the CMB in both intensity and polarisation. The goal being to provide all-sky maps of a single emission to both astrophysicists interested in the ISM and cosmologists interested in CMB B-mode detections.
Mathematics for undergraduate physics students, Manchester University, 2012 - 2014
- PhD Astrophysics and Radio Astronomy, Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics, 2014.
- MPhys, University of York , 2010
My thesis project was on observing diffuse Galactic emission with C-BASS. I worked on the both the instrumentation and data reduction pipeline of C-BASS North and produced an early science paper for the project on the separation of free-free and synchrotron emission within the Galactic plane.
Software engineer, safety-critical aerospace software design, 2014 - 2016
- Irfan, M.O. et al. (2015), ‘The C-Band All Sky Survey: Separation of Diffuse Galactic Emissions at 5 GHz’ , MNRAS 448, 3572.
- King, O.G. et al. (2014),‘The C-Band All-Sky Survey (C-BASS): design and implementation of the northern receiver’, MNRAS, 438, 2426.
- Hargreaves, R.J. et al. (2012), ‘Hot Methane Line Lists for Exoplanet and Brown Dwarf Atmospheres’, ApJ, 757, 46
Talks and Conferences
- ‘Cosmology in the SKA era: The C-Band All Sky Survey’, Talk, NAM, June 2014, University of Portsmouth.
- ‘C-BASS: Separating free-free and synchrotron emission at 5 GHz”, Poster, Planck conference, Apr 2013, ESTEC, Netherlands.
- ‘Anomalous emission with C-BASS’, Talk, AME Workshop, July 2012, University of Manchester.
- ‘Synchrotron foreground emission with C-BASS’, Talk, TRR33 Winter school, Dec 2011, Passo del Tonale.
- ‘C-BASS: Analysis of commissioning data’, Poster, Planck conference, Feb 2012, Bologna.
- ‘The C-Band All Sky Survey’, Poster, NAM, April 2011, Llandudno.
- ‘C-BASS: Galactic emission at 5 GHz’, Poster, Planck conference, Jan 2011, Paris.