Since 2009, I have worked on applying advanced convex optimization techniques to solve inverse problems arising in Planck data analysis using sparsity : component restoration using constrained convex optimization, and compact source removal in Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) datasets. To fulfill these missions, I am part of the Planck consortium (HFI Core Team Member and HFI associate).
- Constrained component restoration for CMB data
The objective for this project is two-fold: better recover the full-sky map of CMB anisotropies but also better estimate the foregrounds involved in the measurement process, by enforcing physically-motivated constraints on the restored components. This project requires both flexible and robust mathematical framework to solve constrained inverse problems and more realistic models of major galactic emissions such as dust for instance. This is carried out in collaboration with François Boulanger team at the Institut d'Astrophysique Spatiale (Orsay, France).
- Compact Source Removal in CMB data
Bright point source emissions is preeminent in the CMB data over a significant fraction of the sky, and is one of the major component at small scales in Planck or WMAP datasets. Furthermore, their spectral and temporal variability makes difficult to blindly estimate them, and a dedicated processing is therefore required to address the problem of compact source removal. We investigate in this project how sparsity and constraints on the sources can be used to separate diffuse and compact emissions in the CMB data.
- Practical exercices for the Ecole Doctorale Astronomie et Astrophysique d’Ile de France (Dec. 2011, Dec. 2012): half-day exercises on applying sparse representations to solve inverse problems
- Tutorials given at the ADA VII summer school Advanced data processing and reproducible research: two 3-hour presentations and exercises on Deconvolution and Compressed Sensing and Data Analysis on the sphere
- Course on Image Processing set up with Pr. Nguyen-Verger (Universite de Cergy Pontoise, 2007): 25 hours of course and practical exercices for Licence 3 Maths and computer science students
- Archamps summer school 2007 (European School of Medical Physics): one-day course and practical exercises on Monte-Carlo Simulation for Nuclear Medicine using GATE.
I obtained my Ph.D. of Physics from the Universite Paris XI in 2008, for my thesis on reconstruction techniques for Positron Emission Tomography, under the supervision of Régine Trébossen, Andrew Reader and Bertrand Tavitian at the Service Hospitalier Frédéric Joliot (CEA). I then worked for one year in Michel Defrise's lab at the Vrije Universiteit Brussels, working in particular on discretization strategies to implement limited data reconstruction in computerized tomography. Prior to this, I graduated in 2004 from the University of Virginia (M.Sc.) and from the Ecole Centrale de Lille (Diplôme d'ingénieur).
- J.Bobin, J.-L. Starck, F. Sureau and J. Fadili, "CMB Map Restoration", Advances in Astronomy 2012, article ID 703217, 15 pages
- C. Cloquet, F.C. Sureau, M. Defrise, G. Van Simaeys, N. Trotta, S. Goldman, "Non-Gaussian space –variant resolution modeling for list-mode reconstruction", Phys. Med. Biol. 2010, 55 (17), 5045-5066
- F.C. Sureau, A.J. Reader, C. Comtat, C. Leroy, M.-J. Ribeiro, I. Buvat, R. Trebossen, "Impact of image-space resolution modeling for studies with the high-resolution research tomograph", J. Nucl. Med. 2008, 49 (6), 1000-8
- F. Bataille, C. Comtat, S. Jan, F.C. Sureau, R. Trebossen, "Brain PET partial-volume compensation using blurred anatomical labels", IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 54 (2007), 1606-1615
- A.J. Reader, F.C. Sureau, C. Comtat, R. Trebossen, I. Buvat, "Joint estimation of dynamic PET images and temporal basis functions using fully 4D EM-ML", Phys. Med. Biol. 51 (2006), 5455-5474
- F. Sureau, J. Bobin and J.-L. Starck, "Compact Source Removal for Full-Sky CMB Data using Sparsity", ADAVII Conference 2012
- F. Sureau, J. Bobin and J.-L. Starck, "Separation de Composantes Multi-echelle pour donnees astrophysiques multicanales : mGMCA", in Actes du 23e colloque GRETSI, Bordeaux, Sept. 2011.
- F.C. Sureau, O. Fourt and J.-L. Starck, "An iterative Constrained Restoration Algorithm for CMB Map Reconstruction", ADA VI Conference 2010
- M. Defrise, V. Panin, F. Sureau, M. Abella, M. Casey, "An exact axial rebinning method for time-of-flight PET", Fully 3D conference record 2009, pp 335-339
- C. Cloquet, F. Sureau, M. Defrise, G. Van Symaeys, N. Trotta, S. Goldman, "Space-variant resolution modelling for list-mode reconstruction on the Philips Gemini 16 Power", Fully 3D conference record 2009, pp 199-203
- F.C. Sureau and M. Defrise, "Discretization of the Two-step Hilbert Transform for Truncated Data Reconstruction", Fully 3D conference record 2009, pp182-186
- N. Pustelnik, C. Chaux, J.-C.Pesquet, F.C. Sureau, E. Dusch, C. Comtat, "Adapted Convex Optimization Algorithm for Wavelet-Based Dynamic PET Reconstruction", Fully 3D conference record 2009, pp 114-118
- F.C. Sureau, J.-C. Pesquet, C. Chaux, Pustelnik N., Reader A.J., C. Comtat, R. Trebossen, "Temporal Wavelet Denoising of PET Sinogram and Images", IEEE NSS Conference record 2008, pp 4448-4454
- C. Comtat, F.C. Sureau M. Sibomana, I. K. Hong, N. Sjoholm, R. Trebossen, "Image based resolution modeling for the HRRT OSEM reconstruction software", IEEE NSS Conference record 2008, pp 4120-4123
- A.J. Reader, J.C. Matthews, F.C. Sureau, C. Comtat, R. Trebossen, I. Buvat, "Fully 4D image reconstruction by estimation of an input function and spectral coefficients", IEEE NSS Conference Record 2007, pp 3260-326
- A.J. Reader, F.C. Sureau, C. Comtat, R. Trebossen, I. Buvat, "Direct fully 4D list-mode reconstruction with temporal prior basis functions. IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. Conf. Rec. 2005, 1955-1959
- A.J. Reader, F.C. Sureau, C. Comtat, I. Buvat, R. Trebossen, "List-Mode reconstruction with system modeling derived from projections. IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. Conf. Rec. 3, 1832-1836 2005
- F.C. Sureau, W.D. Gilson, Z. Yang, B.A. French, F.H. Epstein, "Comprehensive assessment of systolic function in the Mouse Heart using Volumetric DENSE MRI", ISMRM 2004, 1786